Website Bergen Community College
At New Jersey’s largest community college, our goals are centered on an ethic of care, student success, and continuous improvement. We take our mission to help students attain their goals very seriously; the Dean of Business and Social Sciences is an invaluable part of that effort. The Division of Academic Affairs is led by a Vice President and six talented and diverse Deans. We are a highly collaborative team, and eliminate barriers to completion and empower our award winning faculty to reach even greater levels of engagement and goal achievement.
Strategic planning and operational leadership for the Division of Business and Social Science. Leads department heads, coordinators and faculty in the development, implementation and evaluation of new and existing curricula. Ensures systematic assessment activities, reviews facilities requirements, and manages fiscal resources.
The dean works collaboratively with department chairs to oversee the development of annual goals consistent with the College’s strategic plan and the president’s board approved goals. Conducts systematic assessment of academic programs, departments, and student learning.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Plans and develops the instructional objectives for the Division of Business and Social Science.
- Leads the development of pedagogical techniques and supplemental instruction to support student success in divisional courses and programs; provides guidance in 2 + 2, school-to-work and workforce development programs.
- Evaluates full and part time faculty performance, engages in classroom observations and prepares summative reports.
- Recommends the appointment, reappointment and promotions of full and part time faculty and professional/technical assistants; supervises recruitment and oversees salaries.
- Designates faculty for various assignments including teaching, registration and committee participation.
- Oversees supplies and equipment used to support instructional programs; oversees master course scheduling and facilities use.
- Provides leadership to department heads, coordinators and faculty in development of grants.
- Serves on the Dean’s Council, Management Team & and other appropriate college committees.
- Oversees development and implementation of agreements between high schools, Bergen Community College, and 4-year institutions.
- Prepares and/or supervises communications, catalogs and other informational literature for instructional division; prepares/compiles general and annual reports.
- Serves or may serve as the administration representative on the negotiations or other
- committees; and as grievance hearing officer at the informal stage of grievance procedures.
- Develops a set of core outcomes for unit and measures and tracks annual performance against objectives; prepares and submits annual assessment report to the designated office; and fully engages with the College’s Assessment Program.
- Prepares, track, monitors and adheres to an annual budget; does cost projections for all activities, programs and courses and approves work orders and purchase requisitions.
- Acts as performance manager for all direct reports including managing day to day performance, completing and communicating written performance evaluations, approving requested time off and other points of compliance with HR rules, regulations and unit collective bargaining agreements.
- Subject to senior management review and final board approval, has the responsibility, power and authority to hire, fire, discipline and promote employees.
- Performs additional tasks or duties as assigned by the Vice President of Academic Affairs or other designated management.
- Reports to Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Supervises: Managing Director of the Child Development Center; Chairs of: Business and Hotel/Restaurant/Hospitality Management; Criminal Justice and Legal Studies; Social Sciences; and an Executive Secretary; oversees Senior Secretaries.
- Exhibits strong communication and collaboration skills, effectively works with both internal and external constituencies of the College.
- Performs work in a manner that furthers the College’s mission and values.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Annual Salary ranges from $95,000 – $115,000.
- NJ Educators Health Plan with free Vision and Dental. NJ State Pension plan.
- 23 vacation days, 16 sick days, 5 personal days, 2 floating holidays, all designated holidays and 5 non-designated holidays a year. 5 Partial Sick Days.
- Tuition reimbursement opportunities for staff and their family 6 months after hire.
Education: Master’s Degree required; Doctorate preferred
Experience: Minimum of 7 years of higher education experience including 2 years of administrative experience as a department chair or higher, plus 2 years of community college teaching or administration. Disciplinary experience in Business and Social Sciences preferred.
Demonstrates understanding of the community college mission and practices an open-door policy. Must have demonstrated ability to employ a balanced and positive approach to all work activities and work collaboratively across various constituencies of the College and with vendors and external constituencies.
Exhibits strong skills in communication, customer and student focus, building relationships, organizing, and planning; technologically proficient in common office desktop software and familiar with cloud based computing and collaborative platforms and software.
All interested candidates should send a letter of intent (including the job code BC-DBSS), resume, salary requirements and three professional references with current contact information. To ensure full consideration, all requested application materials must be received by August 20th, 2022. Send materials by email with the appropriate job code in the subject line to [email protected]
Bergen Community College
Department of Human Resources
400 Paramus Road, Room A-316
Paramus, New Jersey 07652
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org