Website Bergen Community College
Bergen Community College is seeking a Resource Accommodation Specialist/Sign Language Interpreter to provide communication and scheduling services to Deaf and/or Hard of Hearing students and work with the Office of Specialized Services to provide support for students with disabilities. This position will facilitate communication by interpreting spoken language to sign language and interpreting sign language to spoken language and serve as a liaison between Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing students and hearing students, faculty, and staff
The daily responsibilities of this role will include overseeing all levels and aspects of college interpreting/captioning needs including hiring, scheduling and supervising of part time interpreters , real time captionists and notetakers/note taking services, ensure appropriate coverage of all classes, scheduled appointments with college staff and campus based events and activities, provide information and/or resources to faculty, staff and students regarding the communication services available.
In addition, this role requires the ability to work collaboratively with OSS colleagues to review disability documentation to determine eligibility for services ,assist all students with disabilities in understanding their rights and responsibilities related to reasonable accommodations, consult and maintain regular contact with campus community, specifically faculty and students, to establish rapport and address situational concerns as they arise and additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited post-secondary institution required.
- Minimum of two years professional experience ; one year in a postsecondary educational setting preferred.
- Successful completion of the written portion of the RID certification exam (NIC, CI or CT) required.
- Successful completion of an Interpreter Training Program required.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and be flexible; ability to work independently and cooperatively.
- Experience in reviewing disability documentation to determine eligibility for services preferred.
- Knowledge of the mission of the college and strategic planning initiatives.
- Strong organizational, leadership and teamwork abilities..
- Must possess knowledge and be able to explain key aspects of American Sign Language, interpreting and Deaf Culture as related to interpreting, the role and responsibilities of a sign language interpreter and adhere to the Professional Code of Conduct as outlined by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf.
- Must be a fluent English and ASL user.
- Knowledge of state and federal laws and statutes relating to the rights of individuals with disabilities, specifically Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Amendments Act 2008 required
- Excellent organizational, leadership, teamwork and customer service skills.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Must be a self-starter who is able to work in a fast-paced office environment
- Strong problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work respectfully with a diverse student and employee population.
- Ability to work on a flexible schedule determined by student and departmental needs which may include late night hours as required by department policy.
All interested candidates should send a letter of intent (including the job code P-ACCOMMODATION), resume, salary requirements and three professional references with current contact information. To ensure full consideration, all requested application materials must be received by October 30, 2021 . Send materials by email with the appropriate job code in the subject line to [email protected].
Bergen Community College
Department of Human Resources
400 Paramus Road, Room A-316
Paramus, New Jersey 07652
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org