Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide technical assistance to faculty, staff and administrators regarding alternate print material, access to distance education and access to electronic information;
- Making information available in accessible format to persons with disabilities (e.g. audio, Braille, tactile graphics, large print, or electronic text);
- Review with faculty all existing curriculum, materials and resources and recommend/assist with necessary modifications to ensure access for students with disabilities
- Developing and coordinating procurement of texts in alternate formats (i.e., publisher texts, scanning, Access Text, Bookshare);
- Oversight for the creation and storage of electronic textbooks files in alternate formats
- Monitor compliance with relevant copyright regulations; arranging and assisting with the use of adaptive technology
- Communicate and interface with the college computer support team, instructional computer lab coordinators, faculty, staff and students regarding access to alternate media
- Provide evaluation, support, and training for faculty and staff in the use of AT, Universal Design, and the provision of accessible curricular and alternately formatted materials.
- Develop and facilitate various workshops for students, faculty and other college constituents
- Assist college-wide department users with long-term adaptive computer technology related planning;
- Effectively analyze situations and problem solve issues related to student’s need for assistive technology
- Identify and recommend for purchase specific access technology software, hardware and/or services; assisting department as needed.
- Performs additional tasks or duties as assigned by the Managing Director or other designated management.
Required Qualifications: Education: Bachelor’s degree in Assistive Technology, Rehabilitation Technology, Education, Special Education or related field required; Master’s degree preferred. Experience: A minimum of 2 years’ prior experience with the management, configuration and troubleshooting of assistive technologies and alternative media production (conversion of text books to electronic format. Must have prior experience working with young adults with disabilities in a higher education setting. Specials Skills: Must have demonstrated ability to interact effectively with a diverse student population, knowledge of state and federal laws and statutes related to the rights of individuals with disabilities, specifically Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act, and knowledge of adaptive technology equipment and software (Kurzweil, JAWS, Dragon Naturally Speaking, Zoomtext, FM Systems, etc.). Demonstrated knowledge of the state and federal legislation pertaining to accessibility as they relate to UDL principles and best practices. Has basic proficiency in the use of the Microsoft Office suite. Exhibits strong skills in communication, customer and student focus, building relationships, organizing and planning. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, work efficiently under competing deadlines, manage details and address multiple tasks that require rapid responses. Outstanding proficiency in teamwork, collaboration, flexibility and organizational problem solving. Demonstrates understanding of the community college mission and practices an open door policy. Must have ability to work a varied schedule, including the ability and willingness to work weekends and evenings as necessary.
All interested candidates should send a letter of intent (including the job code SPS-Specialist) resume, salary requirements, and three professional references with current contact information. To ensure full consideration, all requested application materials must be received by February 17, 2020. Send materials by email with the appropriate job code in the subject line to [email protected].
Bergen Community College
Department of Human Resources
400 Paramus Road, Room A-316
Paramus, New Jersey 07652
EOE/NJ First Act Employer
Smoke-Free and Drug-Free Workplace
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org